The consumer products industry is vast and change in this area is fast. We asked our Zintro experts for their predictions for the coming year and why. Here is what they had to say.
Aditya Ghosh, an expert in consumer electronics in international markets, says that he has identified some products that might do well in the year 2013:
- Smart TVs: A Smart TV is referred to as hybrid TV, which is an integration of Internet into television sets and set up boxes. Samsung has already started promoting their range of Smart TVs.
- Digital Camera connected with Internet: “Traditionally, the pictures taken from a camera have to be downloaded and then uploaded into social and networking sites like Facebook. Samsung has developed a camera where pictures can be uploaded directly from the camera. This will save time and avoid the troubles of uploading and downloading,” says Ghosh.
- Inverter air conditioner: “An inverter in an air conditioner is used to control the speed of the compressor motor to allow continuously regulated temperature. As the product consumes less power, it is at least 30-50 percent cheaper to run. It is quieter and without temperature fluctuations, which maximizing comfort level. Brands like Sharp, Fujitsu have already launched their products, and they will sell well in 2013,” he says.
- Tablet with external keyboard: The extension of a keyboard with a tablet might reduce the sales of laptops. This product will move well if the price mapping is properly done, notes Ghosh.
Robert Heiblim, an expert in the consumer electronics sector, says that the top trend he is seeing is constantly connected devices. “More than just handsets and tablets, we are now seeing most every kind of electronic and electrical device being connected in a wired or wireless manner to the Internet,” he says. “The impact is like ripples extending outward that affect many other products and industries. Naturally, it first starts with things like audio and video media. The consumer expectation, however, is rapidly expanding to expect connectivity and access anywhere to anything they want on demand. This is a threat to media and incumbent content distributors that do not have fully interactive models at this time.”
Heiblim says that the ultra-connectivity environment has the potential to transform the majority of products and structures, and it affects price point, which means overflow to the retail environment and all kinds of services. “There will be many failures and much money spent on adjustments to products and services of all kinds,” says Heiblim. “We will see impacts on home control devices, automation, and services; the telecommunications markets, which will continue to move from wired to wireless; and the education marketplace.”
Laszlo Tapolcai, a consumer product designer and educator, sees two sides in the world of consumer products: consumers/users with needs to be satisfied and corporations that produce new products that are affordable and functional. “Until the two sides match each others’ needs there will always be missed and/or happy matches in the market place,” he says. “Companies must research consumer needs and simply target them and satisfy them while continuously searching or starting new trends.:
Tapolcai says that consumers are overwhelmed by many mass produced, faceless products, like mobile phones or cars that do not have individuality or character. Therefore, companies are responding by producing and marketing products that the consumer can change after the purchase, like mobile phone cases that allow for individuation. “This customization will increase for products that are mass produced and cheap, creating another kind of consumer-satisfaction. However, these products must be green and sustainable and innovative.”
Zintro has experts in every industry sector, across every job function, in every geographic region. Recently, some of the following topics have seen inquiry activity:
- Construction Research
- Medical Device Regulatory Engineer
- High Frequency Trading Subject Matter-Experts
- HFT Lawyer
- Physics Law Firm
- Packaging Design Lawyer
- Chinese Business Specialists