Many small companies are vendors to larger companies or to governments—their products and services being inputs at some stage of a supply chain. Buyers of these products, like many businesses are increasingly compelled to consider the sustainability—i.e. the environmental impact of their business practices, and that includes the products they buy in the normal course of business and the way companies manage their vendor relationships.
Topics of interest include:
- How Energy Efficiency Impacts on Property Value
- Rio+20: What the Outcomes Mean for Business Today (Webinar)
- Lessons from the Supply Chain Clinic: 5 emerging tips to pinpoint and tackle supply chain hotspots
In many ways the current practice is an outgrowth of the trend toward closer vendor relationships that goes back as far as the 1980s. There are also ideas from project management and total quality management. Energy inefficiency can be looked at as a quality defect.
There are opportunities for small companies that can support large players such as the 2 Degrees members drive profit through sustainability.
- Innovation – Early stage companies will find a receptive audience if their invention is truly a better mousetrap as an energy saver, a cost saver or gives greater energy output per dollar vs the competition
- Distribution – Ice Melt (US Eco-Products), LED lights (Everwild), Office Products (Keith Gamble), Renewables—Japan initiative
- Recycle, reuse, & refurbish – Roxbury Technologies, a Boston manufacturer supplies refurbished toner cartridges to Staples
- Measuring & Management
- Exporting Sustainability – Japan’s initiative to promote renewable energy creates opportunities for companies to penetrate a new market. Yes the barriers can be challenging but the rewards are considerable
How does small business prepare?
- Incorporate sustainability into your company’s strategic plan
- Promote the environmentally friendly features of your business. Products, process and internal operations. Your prospective customers will not only notice the sustainability aspects of your products, but also how you incorporate sustainability in products you buy your facilities management practices, and perhaps even your accounting methods.
- Capitalize. Becoming a contributor to supply chain sustainability is a long term endeavor and long term endeavors require capital to implement a plan which requires significant investments to secure contracts. Be sure to take into account the working capital impact as well as capital acquisition required in your sustainability plan.
Suppliers who help their customers make their businesses environmentally sustainable will have a competitive advantage that will help them sell into the global supply chain. Furthermore, what is today an advantage will soon be a requirement for any supplier expecting to remain competitive.
Zintro is a “Search and Connect Engine” that makes it easy for clients (expert-seekers) to find and connect with experts for projects (ranging from one half hour phone consults to multi-month on-site engagements). Some of the uses include:
▪ To engage in phone consults with experts for primary market research or to get challenging business or technical questions answered
▪ To source consultants or vendors for projects
▪ To identify candidates for full-time employment
Zintro has over 40,000 experts (browse) across every single industry sector. These experts have opted-in to receive system-matched inquiries from our almost 15,000 clients. Over 1,000 inquiries come in every month.
Do you have a Article to submit? Click here to send it.
For Experts (client-seekers): Are you interested in marketing your services to Zintro’s Clients? It takes just a couple of minutes and is free to sign up as a Zintro Expert. Relevant projects will automatically be emailed to you. Click here to sign up.
For Clients (expert-seekers): In under 90 seconds, you can contact hundreds of relevant business or technical experts within any industry sector. Click here to post an Inquiry (free & anonymous).
Or, do you want to learn more about how Zintro works? Click here to view Zintro’s knowledge-base.
Zintro has experts in every industry sector, across every job function, in every geographic region. Recently, some of the following topics have seen inquiry activity: